Omega-3 Index for Pets Test KitThe Omega-3 Index for Pets Test is a blood test for dogs that measures the amount of omega-3 fatty acids (EPA and DHA) in red blood cells.
The Omega-3 Index for Pets Test is important for measuring omega-3 fats in the body to help maintain healthy fat levels — an important indicator of overall health.
- Measure - You won’t know if your patient’s balance of fats is optimal unless they’re measured.
- Modify - A low omega-3 index can be improved by increasing omega-3 intake.
- Monitor - Track how your patient’s dietary changes affect their blood levels by testing regularly.
Once you know their omega-3 index, you can supplement your patient’s diet to modify their index in as little as 3-4 months.
This test is currently available for dogs and should only be administered by a veterinary professional.
By partnering with OmegaQuant — the premier lab for Omega-3 Index testing — Standard Process is better able to help veterinarians support their patients’ omega-3 needs.
Omega Quant is the world’s only CLIA-certified laboratory dedicated to fatty acid analysis
- Validated and standardized testing methods
- Recognized experts in fatty acid research
- Easy-to-understand report based on well-established scientific study
How is the index derived?
A blood test that measures the amount of Omega-3 fatty acids (EPA and DHA) in red blood cell membranes and expressed as a percent of total fatty acids. There are 64 fatty acids in this model membrane, 4 of which are EPA or DHA. 4/64 = 6.25%
What is the desirable index?
The omega-3 index targeted normal range for dogs is 3-8%.
How does a veterinary professional complete the test?
- Collect Sample: Follow the step-by-step instructions to collect the sample.
- Register Test: Visit OmegaQuant.com/Start and enter the unique bar code on the sample collection card.
- Mail Sample: Put the sample in the prepaid return envelope and drop it in the mail.
- Get Results: You will get emailed results in 2-4 weeks. View Sample Report
- Consult with Pet Owner: Use recommendations to modify and supplement pet’s diet.
Canine Omega Pilot Study White PaperView
VF Omega-3 Fact SheetView
VF Omega-3 BrochureView
VF Omega-3 Practitioner PresentationView
Please consult the product packaging label for the most accurate product information.
Select 2 to 3 items to compare