Safe and Sustainable Bottle Material Update
Standard Process is transitioning the final remaining glass bottle sizes to BPA-free PET plastic, a high-quality material that is safe, strong, and sustainable.
Standard Process is transitioning its 60cc bottles — the last remaining size that utilizes glass — to the same PET plastic that we already utilize for the vast majority of our products. We are doing so for several important reasons:
- Safety: Glass breakage is a significant risk for you, your patients, and our employees — particularly as the glass industry has shifted to lighter-weight glass. It can also be inconvenient and frustrating for all involved. By transitioning to plastic, we are able to virtually eliminate breakage.
- BPA Free: PET plastic is BPA free. It is considered safe by health agencies around the world, including the FDA.
- Domestic Production: PET plastic is produced in the United States, whereas many glass bottles are sourced from overseas. As a result, it has much shorter lead times (8-12 weeks, compared to 28-52 weeks for glass). This can help us keep the products you and your patients rely on in stock.
- Sustainability: PET plastic is fully recyclable. It has a lower carbon footprint when compared to glass, as determined by a 2030 carbon footprint calculator.
We are always looking for better ways to help people, and we are conﬁdent that this change will deliver a better experience for those who purchase, recommend, and use our products.
Why We’re Making This Change
Safety is the primary reason for changing from glass to plastic. As the glass manufacturing industry has shifted to lighter-weight glass, we have experienced an increase in breakage reports. By changing our bottles from glass to plastic, we are able to virtually eliminate breakage, protecting our customers and our employees. Breakage is not only unsafe but can also be inconvenient and frustrating for all involved.
The material we are already using in our other bottle sizes, a BPA-free PET plastic, has a number of additional beneﬁts:
- It has shorter lead times; 8-12 weeks, compared to 28-52 weeks for glass
- It is also sustainable, fully recyclable, and produced domestically
Changes to Products
Plastic bottles will have no impact on pricing or bottle sizes. Our other bottle and jug sizes are already utilizing this BPA-free PET plastic material, a high quality, safe, and sustainable option.
We utilize PET plastic: a strong, lightweight plastic that is considered safe by health agencies around the world, including the FDA. It is sustainable, fully recyclable, and produced domestically. PET plastic is also BPA-free. As with our glass bottles, we encourage users to recycle our plastic bottles when they are done with them.
In addition to our recyclable bottles, our products are shipped in recyclable cardboard cartons and are packaged with recyclable packing paper when necessary. Learn more about our commitment to sustainability here.